Eastwood & District u3a Creative Craft Group is a group of friendly people, who get together and chat whilst completing crafts projects.
We meet at Rumbletums, Kimberley on the 2nd Wednesday afternoon each month from 1.00 pm – 2.30 pm; and 3rd Thursday morning each month from 10.00 am to 12 noon. The cost is £1.00 per person, which goes towards the room hire. There is parking nearby.
We welcome all abilities. You can attend either session or both. The members work on many different projects, allowing them to learn new skills by watching others. If you want to learn there will be someone there to help you.
Currently members’ projects include embroidery, patchwork, hand sewn projects, crochet, knitting – plus learning to crochet and follow knitting patterns.
The knitters have made many items for charity over the years. Every stitch has been knitted with a lot of chat and laughter.
We welcome anyone who enjoys making things and having fun. For further details please check the newsletter or contact Jackie Brett 07580 340 014.
Some members went to the Loughborough Town Hall, Sock Exhibition and the Living Threads Exhibition in Long Eaton in March/April. Previously the group has had trips out to local factories – David Nieper, John Smedley and G H Hurt & Son’s, Chilwell – which have given a fascinating insight into the success of textile manufacturing in the local area – see below.
New members are welcome – especially Wednesday afternoon.
Come and join us.
Four cot quilts made by Janet F. They will join all the
knitted items to be sent to PUMA (Plymouth Ukraine
Medical Aid) and forwarded on to Ukraine.
Photo to be added. Margaret Naylor
Another very productive year. Over the last 12 months the group has made:
– 2 postbox toppers at Easter;
– decorated 4 toppers and made yards of bunting for the 40th anniversary celebrations of the national u3a;
– blankets for the British Legion;
– end-of-life blankets and hearts for premature babies for Hayward House;
– hats, cardigans and blankets for neo natal units at Kings Mill, City and QMC hospitals;
– hearts for 4Louise Hearts Appeal for the families of still-born babies;
– hats, gloves, scarves and lap blankets for local people via Eastwood Peoples Initiative;
– little hats for Innocent Smoothies, supporting Help the Aged;
– pull on hats for fishermen.
– Helen has learnt to crochet;
– Anita is finishing an embroidered tablecloth, begun by one of our members who died – see below;
– others have a variety of quilting/patchwork projects on the go.
Thanks to Marie for producing and selling her cards, which pays for postage.
Well done everybody.
May 2022 – Innocent Smoothie Hats – proceeds to Age Concern
Scarves, hats, gloves, mittens, socks, baby jacket, blankets and one teddy – sent to Syria.